Sunday, August 1, 2010

I have always depended on the kindness of strangers . . .

family, and friends for my garden bounty. Growing up as I did on a large farm with a garden that exceeds the square footage of my lovely Meridian-Kessler abode, I have an appreciation for fresh-from-the-garden goodness. I watched my parents work for hours over a hot stove to make delicious tomato sauce that was stored in sealed Ball jars (no, not Mason jars) and kept in the basement. I remember the stench, yes stench, of the pickles in the 10 gallon crocks that would ferment in the backroom before reaching their savory deliciousness, also to find their way to Ball jars on basement shelves. This and much more would keep us fed during the winter months as if we lived in a climate that would accommodate year round gardening. But that's not the case in my modestly-sized back yard.

This week I was blessed to fall right into a lovely basket of roma tomatos and cucumbers. And my Hoosier roots were rekindled. My mother would be so proud (you're reading this, aren't you mom?). But no, no hot stoves with 10 gallon pots of boiling water for me (unless there's lobster involved, but that's another show), hoping upon hope that the Ball jar seals. I have found my way to very tasty and simple garden fresh recipes that we love, but will admit that I cannot accommodate the quantity that my mother did (who also worked full time as a teacher and coach and somehow filled the freezers and basement shelves with garden bounty). While my parents could feed us from the garden for months, I can put up enough garden goodness for a few treats during the winter months. Regardless, they are delicious treats.

Those of you who know me well, know that I swear by "low and slow" cookery. My ribs, low and slow. . . I also think this is the best way to wrench all the flavor out of tomatos for marinara. So this weekend, I did three batches of tomatos, low and slow, and will have a small but mighty few containers in my freezer of the best tomato sauce this side of Food Network. I was both dismayed and delighted to see that Alton Brown of "Good Eats" fame agrees with me--sort of, and if you check his recipe, you will see it's very close to my own (but I'm more patient). All I can say is I've been doin' this before Alton was making boat loads of money on "Good Eats," and since he makes more money than I do, you can take or leave my recipe. I won't be offended.

Take your romas, cut in half and seed them, put them in a glass baking pan (NO, not metal--tomatos and metal have a funky relationship), and lightly add olive oil, salt, pepper, garlic, onion, and herbs and roast them at 225 degrees (no higher) or so for  2 or 3 hours. What I like about this method is that it concentrates the flavor and carmalizes the tomatos. It's gotta be low, however. Garlic, onions, and pepper will burn. I also use dried herbs--they are a little hardier. You can add the fresh stuff later. Keep an eye and nose on your garden goodness. If you smell burnage, it's probably too late.

When you're happy with the carmely goodness of the tomatos, take them out of the oven and let them cool enough that you can touch them. Then peel off the skins. Really. They come right off, so don't fret this step. I don't happen to have a food mill nor do I enjoy the sort of bitter taste of tomato skins that also can get caught in your teeth, so I don't immediately go to a food processor without removing the skins. Then, let the fun and creativity begin.

Then, finish your tomato goodness however you like. I put the peeled tomatos in a pan, add a little wine, and let them simmer uncovered for a few minutes until the mixture thickens up. I use an immersion blender to puree the tomatos and onions, so all you have is this tomato-y deliciousness. Add some fresh herbs from the garden (basil and thyme are my favorities) and serve with your favorite fresh pasta. Mine happens to be made by my friends Joshua and Betsy, who sell their pasta deliciousness at the Fisher's Farmers Market. Top with some of Josh's fresh mozzarella, and you have a dinner that rivals any I've had in Italy. Of course, I freeze the rest of the sauce in containers that are just the right size for a lovely dinner for two and Ian can make me dinner any night of the week!

For an extra special bit of goodness, save your parmesan cheese rinds in the freezer and when you simmer your marinara, drop in the rinds too. Yum!

Now for recipe number two. I mentioned I also had some cukes. My friend Dan (yes, still depending on the kindness of friends . . . ) gave me this delicious recipe for "killer dills" that does not require a hot stove, boiling water, or sealed Ball jars! I've jazzed it up a bit because I like garlic. But this is so easy.

I cut my cukes and put them in a Ball jar (definitely not a Mason jar) and add dill, onion, mustard seed, 2 or 3 cloves of garlic and at least one whole jalopeno to each jar. Then I pour the brine (3 parts water, 1 part white vinegar, 1/4 part salt, cooked until the salt disappears) over the pickles and let them sit on my counter for 3 days. That's right, only three days. No messing with 10 gallon crocks for weeks at a time. After 3 days, I put on the lids and put them in the fridge. How easy is that. I let them sit in the fridge for a week or so, until I can't stand it any longer, and then I have the most crispy, garlicy, jalopeno-y pickley goodness on the planet. Really.

Thanks for reading this week kids. And don't be afraid to try your own efforts at preserving summer's bounty if you have friends, family, or even strangers who are willing to give you the fruits of their labor. It doesn't have to be difficult or depend on large pots of hot boiling water. But it most definitely will be delicious.

1 comment:

  1. This post makes me crave cucumbers. Actually, it makes me crave food in general. We're awash in veggies here in Jersey and I'm going to try the tomato recipe. Low and slow . . . eat my friends, eat . . .

    ReplyDelete